The Sum of Us

Yesterday, my Artistic Director and I met with Mark Fleischer, the new Producing Artistic Director of the Adirondack Theatre Festival. We introduced ourselves, had some coffee and exchanged some ideas. Mark is road testing some new web-based box office software next season; I'm eagerly awaiting his report. We also compared preliminary notes on how we could share resources and encourage greater circulation in the regional theatre community.

We're working out the details of a theatre passport that would give anyone with the card discounts at the participating theatres. Mark pointed out that the best argument for theatre begetting theatre was Broadway, with dozens of theatres jammed shoulder to shoulder in a few blocks of Manhattan generating the greatest concentration of commercially viable theatre in the United States.

The moral of this story: meet the people who run the theatres around you. Help each other. Share some ideas. Call someone this week and introduce yourself. If they live close enough - have a coffee. I called Tom Pechar at Alliance Theatre one day and exchanged only a couple of sentences, and took something away from that. I was interested in revamping my website, so I got in touch with the webmaster at the Guthrie and asked them about Drupal - a modular opensource web development tool - and they wrote me back. Take advantage of all the knowledge out there, and the fact that we work in an industry that has some of the coolest people around in management - and they're usually willing to share...

Comments

Popular Posts