Never Underestimate the Boss

I was cruising Wikiquote this morning looking for something Peter Drucker said about business management. If I can find that one, I'll post it later. I found this instead:
Never underrate the boss! The boss may look illiterate. He may look stupid. But there is no risk at all in overrating a boss. If you underrate him he will bitterly resent it or impute to you the deficiency in brains and knowledge you imputed to him. -- Peter Drucker Managing for the Future: The 1990's and Beyond (1992)
The first thought I had was "hey - that's me! I look illiterate and stupid to my subordinates, and I impute them at every turn!" Then I tried to gain some perspective and thought - "who's my boss?" Why, the Board, of course!

And then I thought about the number of times working with different boards over the years I have imputed to them broad deficiencies in ability, perception, and basic humanity. And then I thought how about much traction I got in the toughest times by giving them the benefit of the doubt, despite my frustration.

Comments

Popular Posts